German Financial Cooperation with IGAD
Project: Regional Migration Fund supporting Migrants, Refugees and Host Communities in the Greater Horn of Africa (“RMF“)
Project BMZ-No.: 2017 67 961
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST – CONSULTANCY FIRMS for
Consultancy Services to undertake Feasibility Studies of Infrastructure Projects in the area of MOYALE (Ethiopia and Kenya)
Countries: Kenya and Ethiopia
- The Intergovernmental Authority on Development (“IGAD”) hereby invites Consulting Firms to indicate their interest in the provision of consultancy services for the implementation of “Feasibility Studies for rehabilitation of an abattoir in Moyale-Kenya and construction of new abattoirs in Moyale-Ethiopia [Oromia and Somali]”.
- IGAD, working with the Governments of Kenya and Ethiopia, is proposing to fund the implementation of infrastructure projects that will address challenges and promote the potential of migration in the cross-border region of Moyale. The social and economic focus of these projects lies in the social inclusion of migrants, host communities, and the youth in general, and to foster an increase in economic activities in the region. The target projects are outlined below:
- Rehabilitation of Abattoir in Moyale-Kenya: This project aims at rehabilitating an existing abattoir in Moyale-Kenya. The abattoir is located on the western periphery of Moyale-Kenya and situated to the west of the One-Stop Border Post (OSBP) near the border with Ethiopia Oromia. This project will include the improvement of a 1.46 km access road linking the abattoir with the livestock market and the connector road [N2] to Marsabit and Nairobi.
- Construction of Abattoir in Moyale-Ethiopia [Somali]: This project aims at constructing an abattoir in Moyale – Ethiopia [Somali]. The abattoir will contain one (1) goat slaughterhouse, one (1) cattle slaughterhouse, and one (1) camel slaughterhouse. The project will include the improvement of a 2.79 km access road, linking the abattoir with the livestock market, and the connector road [C 80] to Yabelo and Addis Ababa. The abattoir will be located on the north-eastern periphery of Moyale-Ethiopia [Somali] and situated to the northeast of the OSBP of the border with Kenya.
- Construction of Abattoir in Moyale-Ethiopia [Oromia]: This project aims at constructing an two abattoirs in Moyale, Ethiopia-Oromia, one for Orthodox Christians and one for Muslims. This would include the provision of water tanks, enclosures, toilets, disposal pits, and access roads, near the Oromia livestock market, with facilities to slaughter cattle and goats for the Christian abattoir and cattle, goats, and camels for the Muslim abattoir. The abattoirs will be located on the north-western periphery of Moyale-Ethiopia [Oromia], and situated to the north-west of the OSBP of the border with Kenya.
- Feasibility studies are required to evaluate the planned structures, with a special focus on hygiene, environmental and social issues; to verify whether the three (3) abattoirs rehabilitation/ reconstruction projects are economically, technically, socially and environmentally viable.
- The Consultant is expected to work in close collaboration with relevant institutions, in particular the abattoir administration and the meat production officers in Moyale-Kenya as well as Moyale-Ethiopia [Somali and Oromia] during the studies and preparation of the deliverables under this assignment. The language of the assignment is English.
- IGAD, through the IGAD-RMF Fund Management Unit (FMU), invites Consulting Firms to indicate their interest in providing the above-described services. Interested eligible Consulting Firms or associations of Consulting Firms shall provide information on their qualifications and experience demonstrating their ability to provide the services (documentation, company profile, references for similar services, experience in comparable assignments, availability of qualified staff, etc.).
- The eligibility criteria, the establishment of a shortlist and the selection procedure shall be in conformity with the IGAD Procurement Policies https://igad.int/procurement-policies/ and in line with KfW’s “Guidelines for the Procurement of Consulting Services, Works, Plant, Goods and Non Consulting Services in Financial Cooperation with Partner Countries, January 2019” https://www.kfw-entwicklungsbank.de/PDF/Download-Center/PDF-Dokumente-Richtlinien/Vergaberichtlinien-2019-Englisch-Internet_2.pdf. Please, note that interest expressed by a Consulting Firm does not imply any obligation on the part of IGAD to include it on the shortlist.
- The estimated duration of services is three (3) months, and the starting date will be the date of signing the service contract for this Assignment. The Firm should demonstrate the availability of sufficient qualified and experienced staff to deliver on the full scope of the Assignment.
- Interested Consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours from 08:00 AM – 04:00 PM hours East Africa Time, from Sunday to Thursday inclusive except on Public Holidays.
- Expressions of Interest must be received at the address below no later than 31st May 2022, 04:00 PM, East Africa Time:
Attn. Mr………………………… Aimé Mahiri Ouattara
Copy. Mrs…………………….. Nadira Chakib Ali
E-mail: ………………………… Nadira.Chakib@igad.int
Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD)
IGAD-KfW REGIONAL MIGRATION FUND (R.M.F) Project Fund Management Unit (FMU)
Avenue Georges Clemenceau, Djibouti P.O. Box 2653 Republic of Djibouti.